Sponsor a Killdeer
The Killdeer is easily recognised by its “kill-deer” shrill and its broken-wing display used to lure predators away from the nest.
Young orphaned killdeers are often admitted cold, dehydrated and in critical condition. These birds require regular monitoring and unique housing equipped with additional heating. While in captivity, offering variety in their diet is important to encourage them to eat.
Your sponsorship ensures that a wild bird will receive the care it needs to be released into the wild, healthy and fully capable of breeding.
Le Nichoir takes its responsibility for its patients very seriously. Our wildlife rehabilitation work requires significant technical expertise and extensive knowledge of the natural history of our patients. As part of the professional-level care, we provide medical treatments, a balanced diet, and housing adapted to the needs of each species.
Your sponsorship will support our aquatic rehabilitation program. Providing the proper care for our patients means meeting the individual needs of each bird. Aquatic birds can be especially challenging patients because of their large size, need for access to water, love of foods such as fish, insects and fresh greens, and need for space to practice flight.
Your rehabilitation sponsorship includes:
- A personalized certificate of sponsorship that can be given as a gift
- A collectable card with the inside story about the Killdeer
- An invitation to a special tour at Le Nichoir with our staff – In the case of a gift, both the purchaser and the recipient are invited to attend
- A Le Nichoir fridge magnet
- ‘News from Le Nichoir’ Newsletter.
Tax receipt available to purchaser.