Sponsor a Common Loon
The Common Loon is Ontario’s provincial bird and is also found on our one-dollar coin – the loonie.
Many loons become patients at Le Nichoir because they landed in an awkward location and were subsequently unable to take off. All loons that are admitted to the Centre are x-rayed. These birds require continual access to pools and eat large quantities of fish during their stay.
Your sponsorship ensures that a wild bird will receive the care it needs to be released into the wild, healthy and fully capable of breeding.
Le Nichoir takes its responsibility for its patients very seriously. Our wildlife rehabilitation work requires significant technical expertise and extensive knowledge of the natural history of our patients. As part of the professional-level care, we provide medical treatments, a balanced diet, and housing adapted to the needs of each species.
Your sponsorship will support our aquatic rehabilitation program. Providing the proper care for our patients means meeting the individual needs of each bird. Aquatic birds can be especially challenging patients because of their large size, need for access to water, love of foods such as fish, insects and fresh greens, and need for space to practice flight.
Your rehabilitation sponsorship includes:
- A personalized certificate of sponsorship that can be given as a gift
- A collectable card with the inside story about the Common Loon
- An invitation to a special tour at Le Nichoir with our staff – In the case of a gift, both the purchaser and the recipient are invited to attend
- A Le Nichoir fridge magnet
- ‘News from Le Nichoir’ Newsletter.
Tax receipt available to purchaser.